Program Help and Modelling Guides
- Program Help- encyclopeadic source of information on using DesignBuilder.
- DesignBuilder LEED and ASHRAE 90.1 Appendix G User Guide- the main source of help for ASHRAE 90.1 Appendix G PRM modelling.
- LEED MEPC Report Generation- explains how to generate LEED MEPC reports from your ASHRAE 90.1 PRM models.
- DesignBuilder Revit – gbXML Tutorial- explains how to import your Revit models into DesignBuilder.
- DesignBuilder SageGlass Modelling Guide- explains how to model SageGlass Electrochromic systems.
- Help Tutorials- worked examples and tutorials demonstrating some key modelling principles.
- CFD Technical PowerPoint
The EnergyPlus documentation can also be accessed from the EnergyPlus website:
- All EnergyPlus Documentation- download pdf documents for the latest version from the EnergyPlus website.
- All EnergyPlus Documentation- access the EnergyPlus v9.4 help in a convenient online format from the Big Ladder website.
DesignBuilder-Based Lectures and Teaching Materials
As part of the lecture series at the School of Architecture at University of Technology Sydney, PC Thomas, director at Team Catalyst, presents his lecture entitled ‘Using Energy Simulations to Drive Decisions in the Built Environment’. The lecture explores the use of DesignBuilder to drive design decisions for residential renovation in eastern Sydney, including explanations on how daylight, passive solar strategies, thermal comfort, natural ventilation and energy use were evaluated. It provides a good introduction to the application of DesignBuilder simulation capabilities in a simple project, especially for beginners in energy modelling. Watch the lecture from the link below.
- Using Energy Simulations to Drive Decisions in the Built Environment with DesignBuilder Software, Lecture by PC Thomas.
The following teaching materials were developed by Christoph Reinhart while working at Harvard GSD. He has now moved to MIT and the materials are publicly available on the MIT website.
Thermal Analysis: An introduction to thermal simulations using DesignBuilder EnergyPlus for modeling the annual energy use of a building for heating, cooling and lighting. Development supported by the Harvard Provost Office.
- Tutorial I Getting Started
- Tutorial II Load Schedules
- Tutorial III Construction Assemblies Climate Analysis
Energy Simulation Game: Being able to read thermal simulation results and to adapt one's design accordingly has become an essential skill for graduating and practicing architects. This 90-minutes in-class exercise based on DesignBuilder EnergyPlus helps students to practice this skill.More >>
Click herefor all related MIT teaching materials.