These “get you started” tutorials cover the latest key features in DesignBuilder, and are produced in short sessions so that you can quickly and easily dip into specific topics of interest. They provide a valuable resource for existing DesignBuilder users to refresh their knowledge on areas of the software they may not have used for a while. Also, for those new to DesignBuilder, the tutorials will provide a nice logical way to learn the software basics. Please note that although the tutorials use SI units you can easily change to IP units in Program Options.You must be logged in to view these tutorials, if you do not have a username and password,please click here to register.
You may find it helpful to cross-reference the tutorial you view with the content in the Program Help. People generally learn most effectively by "doing" rather than "watching", so please do try out the techniques shown in the tutorials while they are fresh in your mind before moving on to the next tutorial. And above all, we hope you find the tutorials useful and fun!
- 000Introduction to Tutorials - Tutorial concept and freely available resources
- 001DesignBuilder User Interface – Modelling: Opening screen, loading a model, screen layout, navigation
- 002DesignBuilder User Interface – Model Data: Site level, model data tabs, data hierarchy and inheritance
- 003DesignBuilder User Interface – Simulation Screens: Overview of visualisation and calculation screens
These tutorials cover the key areas needed to get started, including how to quickly create and edit building geometry, automated adjacency assignment, importing/exporting models from/to other tools, and creating thermal zones using partitions.
- 101Starting a new project
- 102Blocks and dimensioning protocols
- 103Adding blocks and using the measure tool
- 104Shading using standard component blocks
- 105Setting adjacency conditions using ground and adiabatic blocks
- 106Selecting, moving, cloning and deleting objects
- 107Stretch, drag face and rotate tools
- 108Add surface, increment snaps
- 109Adding a roof, construction lines
- 110Outline blocks, Boolean operations
- 111Cutting blocks, protractor tool
- 112Drawing arcs, circles and domes
- 113Importing drawing files
- 114Partitioning blocks to create zones
- 115Drawing holes and merging zones
Basic Model DataThe Basic Model Data tutorials show how to set up data on the Activity, Constructions, Openings, Lighting and HVAC model data tabs for EnergyPlus simulations.
- 201Model data hierarchy and inheritance
- 202Program and Model Options
- 203Data templates
- 204Site level data and weather files
- 205Activity data templates and time schedules
- 206Construction data
- 207Create and edit constructions
- 208Glazing and openings
- 209Drawing windows and doors
- 210Creating new glazing types
- 211Shading via louvres, overhangs, and side fins
- 212Lighting data and daylight controls
- 213Simple HVAC Data
- 214Timings, schedules and profiles
- 215Compact schedules
- 216Hourly weather data
Heating Design, Cooling Design and Simulation
The Calculations tutorials explain how to set up DesignBuilder EnergyPlus simulations and analyse results.
- 301Model Data Grid View & QA checking
- 302Heating Design Calculations
- 303Cooling Design Calculations
- 305Analysing results in DesignBuilder’s interface
- 306Simulation Manager and Results viewer
We will be progressively releasing new tutorials in the months ahead. The new tutorials will be added to the list above and will ultimately replace the legacy tutorials below.
The legacy tutorials below are not up to date and miss some important functionality. In general we advise not using the legacy tutorials, but you may still find them useful as an introduction if a newer tutorial on that topic is not available above. If the content you need is not yet available in a new tutorial, we highly recommend you read the relevantprogram helptopic. Also, our new on-demand online training is based on the latest software and provides step by step guidance on the fundamentals of modelling in DesignBuilder. You can find more information on this training contenthere.
- Introduction to Detailed HVAC
- Activity setpoints, Fresh air settings and HVAC Zone groups
- Adding zone equipment
- Introduction to HVAC loops
- Hot water plant loops, boilers
- Generic air loops, air handling units
- Refrigeration cycle
- Chilled water loops, Chillers and Fan Coil Units
- Condenser loop, Cooling towers
- Heated floors